Monday, November 13, 2006

Well, well, well. Look what the catfish drug in.

Attention skimmers!

The essentials (meat and taters):

Thanks to the wisdom of one, Carrie Stallings (IMB missionary to Spain), skimmers no longer have to search for the pertinent information. It's all here at the top.

I'm learning more Spanish. I've been doing research and evangelism in smaller mountain towns. I wrecked my car. I don't want to clutter anyone's email box so everyone that wants to continue to receive these updates must reply UNLESS you did so to the last email or joined since then. Prayer requests are below. If time and love permit, read on...

Ok, now for the milk and cookies:

Dear people who have time (ha ha),
Here's my usual schedule so you can be praying for me during the week, if you like:

Mondays-Wednesdays: Might be in the office, but hopefully i'm in a rural community doing research and evangelism where few or no evangelical church exists. I have Spanish class on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3-4:30.

Thursdays: My off-day. Usually doing yard work at the house and reading in the hammock

Fridays: Same as Mondays-Wednesdays minus the Spanish class.

Saturdays: Go to Pesillo (2.5 hour drive), a Quichua mountain community, with Jose and visit with families, evangelizing.

Sundays: Morning church with Jose, the pastor of the church in Pesillo. i return to Quito and go to the youth meeting at a local church in the afternoon. I usually get to hang out with some of boys from there and disciple them.

Here's a journal entry i made this weekend about the wreck:

"Nov. 11, 2006

"Here's a nice scene from Thursday, my off-day. I was wrapping up the last couple of chapters from A.W. Tozer's Knowledge of the Holy in my hammock, strung up to a couple avocado trees, beneath my rain tarp sounding the pitter-patter of a light rain of the early afternoon. So relaxing.

"Now contrast that with what just happened: Today [Saturday], Jose and i were traveling to Pesillo. Passing through Cayambe, a truck in front of me slammed on the breaks. Not wanting to give him a Rock Hudson [hit him in the tail] i switched to the right lane. Low and behold, this was occupied by a parked car very close. Realizing my situation had not improved, since my car was not slowing down fast enough, i pulled onto the sidewalk which was free of pedestrians. That's when i realized that i was on a collision course with a 3ft wide concrete planter, full of earth. Boxed in by the wall to my right, i was searching for the words to Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel." The planter was disintegrated, as was my car's alignment and my pride." We were unscathed, but i can't say the same for my car's front suspension. It's currently at the mechanic of Cayambe getting well.

PrayeRequests:

* That God would speak through me. My Spanish is lacking and i'd rather Him give me the words, even if it was in English. Just this weekend i had conversations with people in Spanish about biodeisel, relationships with the opposite sex, nuclear fusion, and all the local foods i need to try (rodents and intestines, etc.). All these complex conversations make me want to learn Spanish. I've also been invited to speak to the youth group.

* Pray that i'd be able to effectively and efficiently do research in these communities. Pray that Christian churches would be planted. Catholicism exists but it's quite different from Catholicism in the States. If you ask someone if they are a Christian they are likely to reply with, "No. I'm Catholic." In some communities the local Catholic church is known to incite violence against Evangelicals, who are in the vast minority.

* God would be glorified.

Finally, be sure to check the blog on teote.com as other missionaries and myself update it more regularly than this email newsletter.

Love yall,

†il the whole world hears,

corey reid pendergrass

0 comments:

Post a Comment