Friday, November 24, 2006

Faith Healing

"Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord." James 5:14
That's just what i did. But first...I've been dealing with a shoulder problem for close to 2 years. I had surgery on it at the start of that time and it was never 100% since. Bone spurs were removed and they seem to have come back sooner than expected. Especially during the summer, i started having severe pain in my right shoulder. It's actually been so bad that i was able to do my push-ups in order to get in shape for the Xtreme Team. It's been a rough ride-- all these ailments. Nevertheless, i was continuing to try my push-ups on my own strength and failing miserably. Last week i tried doing the 6 sets of 30 push-ups according to the workout schedule. Discouragingly, i could only pull of 3 sets of 15 girl push-ups (leaning forward on a wall instead of pushing off the floor). I was desperate.
Last weekend at the 5-10 member dirt floor church in Pesillo, i asked the pastor, my friend, Jose, to follow this verse in James 5:14. Since the church was so small and everyone was older than me, they all got up and Jose spread a handful of vegetable oil on my head (I think it's silly to buy special "blessed" oil at the Christian bookstore. The grocery store has some oil that works just as good for a lot cheaper.) Now, i'd like to say this: I don't believe that the oil itself has any healing power, in and of itself. I believe the power of healing to come from God alone through faith. Like baptism, anointing with oil is symbolic of an act of faith that God is doing through me.
Not feeling any better, i was still certain that my shoulder had been healed. That's what faith is: Knowing without seeing. So the next day, it was time for my push-ups. Just before starting, i thanked the Lord for healing me, even though it still hurt a little. I did my first set on the ground (real push-ups)... all 30 of them. Then another set, then another. Within 10 minutes all 6 sets were complete. I had a moment of praise to Him, not that i wasn't doing it since the anointing the day before. Yes, i still felt a little discomfort in my shoulder, but the difference was night and day. I have been able to do all my exercises this week free of severe pain. I'm very excited about this and wanted to share what God is doing with this old wine skin/clay jar that He's chosen to reach the nations with. Glory to Him!

0 comments:

Post a Comment