Friday, November 10, 2006

Societal Conotations vs Definitions

I was musing the other day about how many catagories of people i could fall into by definition only. Of course, i couldn't say i'm most of these things because of the conotations our society attaches to them, but it was still interesting to me. Negating society's perceived ideas of these, by definition, i could say...

I'm Orthodox: of, pertaining to, or conforming to the approved form of any doctrine, philosophy, ideology, etc.

I'm a Muslim: one who submits to God

I'm Messianic: of or relating to a messiah

I'm Episcopal: based on or recognizing a governing order of bishops

I'm Pentecostal: of or relating to (the day of) Pentecost

I'm a Jehovah's Witness: practitioner of active evangelism

I'm a Baptist: person who baptizes

I'm a Hippie: person who opposes and rejects many of the conventional standards and customs of society

I'm a Methodist: person who relies greatly or excessively on methods or a particular method

I'm Christian: of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings

I'm Liberal: characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts. Also free from prejudice or bigotry. Also favoring or permitting freedom of action

I'm Catholic: having broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like. Also pertaining to the whole Christian body or church

I'm a Protestant: one who protests against the decision of the Diet of Speyer in 1529, which had denounced the Reformation

I'm Evangelical: pertaining to or in keeping with the Gospel and its teachings

I'm a Sinner: a person who sins

I'm a Saint: a person of great holiness, virtue, or benevolence

I'm an Adventist: a member of any of certain Christian denominations that maintain that the Second Advent of Christ is imminent

I'm Apostolic: of or relating to or deriving from the Apostles or their teachings

I'm an Animist: one who believes in spiritual beings or agencies

Presbyterian: pertaining to or based on the principle of ecclesiastical leadership by elders

Quaker: one who quakes and trembles

What are you? Just some food for thought..

0 comments:

Post a Comment