Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A story from Jennifer Pendergrass

One morning in November, I woke up with a particular desire on my heart. I told Butch, my husband and corey's dad, that I really wanted to smell corey. I went on to explain that I was really OK with not being able to see corey face to face; however, I had a strong desire to be able to smell him. I thought about how I could remember his smell (which might make some of you think why I desired to experience it); however, I wanted to smell the smell that I could remember. He sort of smiled and said, "I guess you will be able to smell him when he returns." I thought to myself, "I guess he's right." However, I continued to think about it from time to time during the day.
That very afternoon, I checked the mailbox and found a package that corey had sent which contained a wooden bowl he had sent to his grandparents for Christmas. As I checked the contents of the package, I noticed there was a plastic bag inside the bowl which contained something else. I peeked inside the bag and could not believe what I was smelling. It was corey's smell! As I opened the bag, I found a tattered stinkin' T-shirt that was one I knew belonged to corey. There was a little note that read, "The bowl is for Granny and Satch. The T-shirt is for whoever wants to smell corey."
I immediately began to think about how God had known my needs and provided for them many weeks in advance of me even anticipating the need. He had nudged corey on the exact day the T-shirt needed to be mailed. Corey later told me he had initially thought about burning the T-shirt. This old stinkin' T-shirt no longer reminded me of corey so much. It reminded me of the power and love of God and his provision for our needs. It reminded me of His fragrance in my life.
Praise God for all things, even stinkin' T-shirts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment